Before I even knew how to walk, I was already singing. Although the lyrics and melodies were not exactly top-notch yet (I blame the terrible children’s songs), it was the beginning of a life-long hobby. During my life I had multiple singing performances (some in a choir, some solo and some in a band), I participated in several singing contests (of which I made it to the national finals in a student song contest), I wrote a song with a friend of mine when I was 23 years old and I love playing the piano while singing along with it.
I also love singing along with songs to keep my voice in good shape. But whenever I feel like doing that, I can come up with only a handful of songs. Later on I always hear songs on the radio or a random Spotify playlist that I really like. I want to remember them, but I always fail.
Singing sadly has become something I rarely do nowadays though. I don’t have a band anymore, I don’t have music partners to team up with and jam and the songs I had learned on the piano are kinda forgotten… This is such a shame, because I really love it. Why shouldn’t I do it more often then? It doesn’t matter that I have no gigs to prepare for. It’s something I love doing, so I should just do it!
This is what I thought when I created my list of goals. The least I could do was to come up with a list which would contain lots of songs that I love to sing along with. I wanted to add different genres, so I would have songs for every type of mood. So I created this goal:
No. 78: Create a playlist of 101 songs I love to sing along to.
It wasn’t easy to find 101 songs. Well, at least not if I wanted to fill the list with songs I really loved. It took me a few months to be honest, from start to finish. I added songs every time I could remember a song that definitely should be on the list. And sometimes I would just sit down and spend some time actively searching for songs. On the list are a few songs I may not feel deeply passionate about, but I still like to belt along with them from time to time. Most songs fit me like a glove though.
Are you curious which songs I choose for my playlist? Then read on! Because here it is:
TANYA’S 101 – SONGS TO SING
I love this genre! It’s a bit vague, I believe. When does a song fit in this genre and when is it ‘just’ a pop song? I don’t know. I even added pop singers to this list, who I listed here because of the feel the songs have me. They all end up in the same list anyway Somehow, this section contains a great percentage of Dutch singers!
- Brand New Day (Acoustic) – Fireflight
- Your song – Ellie Goulding
- The A Team – Ed Sheeran
- All Of Me – John Legend
- Fields of Gold – Michael Bolton & Eva Cassidy
- Heaven (Piano) – Do
- I Don’t Want to Be Your Friend – Do
- Ken je Mij – Trijntje Oosterhuis
- De Zee – Trijntje Oosterhuis
- Vlieg Met Me Mee – Trijntje Oosterhuis
- Hallelujah – Lisa Lois
- Use Somebody – Laura Jansen
- Single Girls – Laura Jansen
- Dat Ik Je Mis – Maaike Ouboter
- Skinny Love – Birdy
- People Help The People – Birdy
- Mag Ik Dan Bij Jou – Claudia De Breij
- Saddest Goodbye – Glennis Grace
- Blue Days – Racoon
- The Fear (Acoustic) – Lily Allen
- He Wasn’t There (Acoustic) – Lily Allen
- Feels Like Home- Chantal Kreviazuk
I’m not usually into pop that much, because it’s often quite the same. But there are a few pop singers who have such great songs to sing along to! I mean, Kelly Clarkson and Christina Aguilera, need I say more? (Perhaps I do, since these artists often are quite underrate do). They have songs which are really difficult to sing! And to be honest, their lyrics get to me somehow.
- Addicted – Kelly Clarkson
- Because of You – Kelly Clarkson
- Breakaway – Kelly Clarkson
- A Moment Like This – Kelly Clarkson
- Beautiful Disaster (Live) – Kelly Clarkson
- Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
- The Voice Within – Christine Aguilera
- Taking Chances – Celine Dion
- Lost – Anouk
- I Don’t Wanna Hurt – Anouk
- Sacrifice – Anouk
- Set Fire To The Rain – Adele
- Someone Like You – Adele
- Daydreamer – Adele
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele
- Sweet Goodbyes – Krezip
- I Apologize – Krezip
- All My Life – Krezip
- I Still Cry – Ilse DeLange
- Afscheid – Glennis Grace
- Ik Ben Niet Van Jou – Glennis Grace
- Nobody Knows – Pink
- No Good For Me – Lisa Lois
- What You’re Made Of – Lucie Silvas
- Mary Jane (Acoustic) – Alanis Morissette
- Uninvited (Unplugged) – Alanis Morissette
- Forgiven (Acoustic) – Alanis Morissette
- When Am I Gonna Get Over You – LeAnn Rimes
Somehow, the artists I put here didn’t quite belong in the regular pop genre in my opinion. I especially love Katie Melua. It’s so relaxing to sing her songs.
- Hands – Jewel
- Little Sister – Jewel
- Painters – Jewel
- Fat Boy – Jewel
- Absence of Fear – Jewel
- My Aphrodisiac Is You – Katie Melua
- The Closest Thing To Crazy – Katie Melua
- Call Off The Search – Katie Melua
- Spider’s Web – Katie Melua
- Piece By Piece – Katie Melua
- Thank You, Stars – Katie Melua
- The Flood – Katie Melua
- I’d Love To Kill You – Katie Melua
- Ordinary Day – Vanessa Carlton
- A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton
- Wanted – Vanessa Carlton
- Twilight – Vanessa Carlton
- Come Away With Me – Norah Jones
I used to sing in a rock band, so this genre cannot be left out on my playlists! Most of the time I prefer singing to power ballads or songs in the singer/songwriter style, but sometimes it’s just freeing singing along with rock.
- Brazen (Weep) – Skunk Anansie
- Twisted – Skunk Anansie
- Crashing Down – Beth Hart
- Nothing Else Matters – Metallica
- The Unforgiven III – Metallica
- Turn The Page – Metallica
- Bed Of Roses – Bon Jovi
- Always – Bon Jovi
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
- Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman – Bryan Adams
I could have just named this genre ‘Anathema’, but that seemed stupid to me, since the other artists, which I have picked more songs from, don’t get their own header. The songs are not even that progressive, but the band in general is, so yeah.
- Untouchable Part 2 – Anathema
- The Beginning and the End – Anathema
Okay, I admit. Belting along to Disney songs is one of my guilty pleasures. Although, why should I feel guilty? Have you ever listened to Disney songs? They are beautiful!
- Let it Go – Idina Menzel (Frozen)
- For the First Time in Forever – Idina Menzel & Kristen Bell (Frozen)
- Do You Want to Build a Snowman? – Agatha lee Monn, Katie Lopez, Kristen Bell & Idina Menzel (Frozen)
- Love is an Open Door – Santino Fontana & Kristen Bell (Frozen)
- Reflection – Christina Aguilera (Mulan)
- Beauty And The Beast – Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson (Beauty and the Beast)
- Colors of the Wind – Vanessa Williams (Pocahontas)
- A Whole New World – Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle (Aladdin)
One of the best video game series ever made, with music made by game music legend Nobuo Uematsu. Those of you who know me, know I worship the Distant Worlds music tour, where music from all the Final Fantasy stories are played by an amazing orchestra. Some of the songs are performed by singers as well, so it would be weird not to include some of these in my playlist.
- Answers (FFXIV) – Susan Calloway
- Rose of May (FFIX) – Erutan
- Aerith’s Theme (FFVII) – Erutan
- Memoro de la Stono – Distant Worlds with Susan Calloway
- Kiss me Good-Bye – (FFXII) – Distant Worlds with Susan Calloway
I love Glee. I would have very much wanted to add some songs from the series McCleod’s Daughters to this section as well, but they are nowhere to be found on Spotify!
- A Love Before Time – Yo-Yo Ma (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)
- Defying Gravity – Glee Cast
- Don’t Stop Believing – Glee Cast
Haven’t we all got these songs from when we were young, which instantly take us back to that time once we hear them? I could probably make a whole other playlist with 101 of these songs, but I just chose a handful for this one.
- Hero – Mariah Carey
- Music Box – Mariah Carey
- More than Words – Extreme
- Eternal Flame – The Bangles
- End Of The Road – Boyz II Men
I think I have some singing to do the next couple of… well, hopefully forever! If you’d like to have this playlist in your own Spotify collection, you can find it here. Which song would you add to the list?